Tyler Kilbane

Student Blogger

Hey everyone, my name is Tyler Kilbane. I am a second-year student in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling Graduate Program. I’m from the Ohio Valley, particularly Wheeling, WV. I enjoy long walks on the beach and bubble baths. Just kidding… well I mean I do enjoy those things, but this isn’t the dating game. On a serious note, my passions are counseling and drumming. I am truly blessed to be involved in a program that is preparing me to be the best counselor that I can be. I am also fortunate to be able to use my musical gifts at my local church. God has truly given me more than I could ask for, and I want to use those gifts for His glory and for the healing of other people. I can’t wait to see where He leads me, and how He will use me after I graduate.
Thanks for reading.

Pastoral Counseling in Action

In my last post, I explored the idea of Pastoral Counseling. The main focus of that post was the qualities and purpose of Pastoral Counseling, while placing an emphasis on the qualities (portrayed by Christ) that should be displayed by the counselor. In this blog post, I want to express some more practical skills and techniques that one should have, if working from this position of ministry.

The Pastoral Counselor

As, both, a Christian and aspiring Counselor, I find the idea of pastoral counseling pretty intriguing and attractive. The question is: what is TRUE pastoral counseling?

There is a plethora of different interpretations of what pastoral counseling truly consists of. Some believe pastoral counseling is any opportunity for the pastor to guide or comfort, in a particular setting.