FemaleSilhouette

Shari Adams

Student Blogger

Upon my conversion to Catholicism, and after some general soul searching about the path that God had set before me, I found myself at Franciscan University pursuing a degree in Mental Health Counseling.  I also came into the program with the full intention of getting the Christian Counseling Certificate.  It’s an excellent plan for anyone who is passionate about counseling and their faith combined, especially if you don’t intend on having a life throughout the process.

Fictional Therapy

In my last blog I briefly touched upon the use of fiction novels in bibliotherapy.  I know sometimes the idea of fiction being used in therapy seems a touch odd.  I mean, you don’t hand a client Silence of the Lambs and tell them to try and get something therapeutic out of it.  Silence of the Lambs is dark.  It’s gritty.  It’s got a cannibal in it for goodness sake, who ate a man’s liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti!

Therapeutic Interventions for the Pastoral Counselor

Certain counseling interventions might be more unique to pastoral counseling than they might more standard counseling.  In most regards, I’m a huge advocate for things like Motivational Interviewing, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and also Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy.