Man-silhouette copy

Matt Escano

Student Blogger

Pastoral counseling had been a part of my life since I was a child, and was integral to forming my identity and understanding of a catholic sense of community. I considered myself to have a unique upbringing; as an only child, over the years I witnessed my parents form a charismatic Filipino community called Bukas Loob Sa Diyos (Open Your Hearts to God) after having newly immigrated to Canada. We moved to North America because my father had to resign from his lucrative banking position in the Middle East due to unscrupulous practices. My understanding of my own spirituality grew from this experience – their spiritual directors supported them during this tough time and they attributed all their successes in Canada to their faith in God’s plan for them. I was taught the importance of prayer, perseverance, and patience by the example my parents set for me.

Bringing Spirituality into Everyday Counseling

With my final semester of internship drawing to a close, I am surprised at the number of times I have been able to use pastoral counseling in my internship experience. In many instances, I have had the opportunity to work with people I thought were the least likely to want to include spirituality in their therapy.

Bringing Christ Through Hip-Hop

I had believed pastoral counseling to be much like what my own family had provided to other families when I was growing up. To briefly explain, they were part of a filipino community where the idea of counseling itself was never really an option. In our culture, counselor’s duties were delegated to the elders of the community, who would help the younger generation sort out their problems by using their own experience.

Pastoral Counseling

Pastoral counseling had been a part of my life since I was a child, and was integral to forming my identity and understanding of a catholic sense of community. I considered myself to have a unique upbringing; as an only child, over the years I witnessed my parents form a charismatic Filipino community called Bukas Loob Sa Diyos (Open Your Hearts to God) after having newly immigrated to Canada.