FemaleSilhouette

MaryJo LeChevallier

Student Blogger

The truth of body-soul union is so important to me in counseling. I intern in a community counseling center. In this setting, I don’t have the privilege of discussing Christ in sessions, but that doesn’t stop me from praying for my clients in front of the Eucharist and before sessions. I pray not only for their disorders and their presenting symptoms but that they may see the love of the Father through me, whether they realize it or not. This is my approach to “regular” counseling. I recognize my clients as body and soul, and though there is not too much I can do for their soul in this setting, I do what I can to help their soul while I help their mind and body.

It Is Not Good for Man to Be Alone

For those of you who are not aware of Franciscan University’s households, a household is similar to our version of fraternity or sorority. It is a group of men or women who gather together to worship God. Each household has its own covenant that it is based upon and which describes the charisms of the household. Each household meets several times a week for different activities, such as rosary, Mass, or Lord’s Day. Lord’s Day is a setting aside of the sabbath day. It takes place around 4 PM on Saturdays.

Pastoral Counseling as Caring for Persons – Body and Soul

Do you know what Pastoral Counseling is? Probably not. Before I started taking this class I wasn’t so sure about what Pastoral Counseling was and how it differed from spiritual direction and “normal” counseling. There is definitely some gray area between these three disciplines, but the following is how I personally internalize the differences.