FemaleSilhouette

Liz Heuertz

Student Blogger

I don’t know about any of you readers, but I have never been to a pastoral counselor.  I have been in counseling and in spiritual direction, but never pastoral counseling. So when I entered a pastoral counseling class I didn’t really know what I was getting into.

Cultivating a Spiritual Life

A requirement of my pastoral counseling class was to commit to a spiritual exercise during the semester in order to grow in our faith lives, as this is the foundation for all we do in pastoral counseling. At the beginning of the semester I was excited to be able to do this assignment. I wanted to commit to a Holy Hour every week, and hopefully add a couple more Holy Hours when I was able.

The Human Person: A Catholic Perspective

Recently I attended the Catholic Psychotherapy Association’s annual conference in Washington D.C. It was a place where clinical psychologists and counselors could gather to pray, network, and to learn more about topics concerning the integration of our Catholic faith and our field of study.

Pastoral Counseling?

I don’t know about any of you readers, but I have never been to a pastoral counselor.  I have been in counseling and in spiritual direction, but never pastoral counseling. So when I entered a pastoral counseling class I didn’t really know what I was getting into. We have spent the first four weeks of class reading articles and discussing what pastoral counseling is and what it is not. And to be honest, it’s still confusing.