Kelsey Johnson

Student Blogger

My name is Kelsey Johnson. I was born and raised in Texas and studied psychology at Texas A&M University. After serving as a youth minister for middle school youth for two years, I came to Franciscan to earn a master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling. I love discovering more about the human person and how to help people live full, flourishing lives. In my free time, I love being outdoors, decorating and creating, and playing FIFA with my husband. For more of my writing, check out thejohnsonadventures.weebly.com

Pastoral Counseling 101

Pastoral counseling is the journeying with another human to the goal of wellness and flourishing human existence. So what does this journey look like practically?

First off, pastoral counseling clearly involves a foundation of good counseling. The pastoral counselor must be competent in theories and techniques of the helping profession.

What is Pastoral Counseling?

It seems that every source on this topic and every person asked has a different answer to the question, “What is pastoral counseling?” Some are in agreement; others are not.  To answer this question, I think it’s first necessary to ask why we are asking this question in the first place. What is the purpose of distinguishing pastoral counseling from other forms of counseling or from other modes of being in day to day life?