padua-16

Diane Piland

Student Blogger

I am a graduate student in the Clinical Mental Health program.  I was in the teaching field for twenty-five years.  I was an educator in Honduras.   I first taught elementary grades and later became the Director of the bi-lingual school (grades 1-12).  Also, during that time I was the Director of the American choir at the American church.  I recently retired as an Associate Professor of Education.  Prior to being in the education field I was an Assistant Pastor in Louisville, Ohio and a Chaplain in the women’s Teen Challenge in Columbus, Ohio. My masters in counseling will enable me to triangular ministry, education and counseling to further service people in need.

Pastoral Counseling: Techniques and Resources

Pastoral Counseling can have two components; community counselor and/or Christian counselor. As a trained community counselor one draws from understanding of human behavior (emotional, social and physical) and psychological norms. The problems are addressed through using various counseling techniques, interventions and resources.

Reflections on Pastoral Counseling

My personal reflections of what I am studying in pastoral counseling takes me back to my protestant roots and my years of studies in preparation for ministry.  I would like to address three key points that Brenner (1998; Care of the Soul) discusses which are congruent to my own beliefs; 1) pastoral care, 2) pastoral spiritual counseling and 3) pastoral counselors licensed for community counseling.