courtney-desmond_avatar_1442984193-96x96

Courtney Desmond

Student Blogger

Courtney grew up just outside of Boston, MA and received undergraduate degrees in Catechetics and Theology from Franciscan University.  Following her undergraduate degree she spent time doing Mission work in Belize followed by 6 years as a Youth Minister in Atlanta, GA.  Courtney is currently back at Franciscan University pursuing a Master’s degree in Christian Counseling in hopes to continue to be the Lord’s hands and feet in “binding up the broken hearted and setting captives free”.  In her spare time, Courtney loves to travel, hang out at the beach and take her 5 nieces and nephews out on dates.

Having the Humility to Rely on Christ’s Strength!

“God I look to you, I won’t be overwhelmed, give me vision to see things like you do. God I look to you, you’re where my help comes from, give me wisdom, you know just what to do” (Jenn Johnson).

With six papers due before Thanksgiving, and three exams in 24 hours soon after, I have to admit I’m a bit overwhelmed and burned out from this semester. It makes me wonder how in the world am I ever going to persevere in ministry and service with client after client in pastoral counseling? What do I do on the days I’m losing steam and everything in me wants to stay on the couch, take a nap and just watch a movie? That’s where the above song lyrics come into play. Do I remember to rely on the Lord and not on my own strength? Do I truly look to Him? Self-reliance is something so natural and important in our culture, yet in a sense it’s anti-Christian.

Be Healed

Pastoral counseling is unique in the sense that there is a spiritual focus. It is important to look at the person in a holistic way, with the spiritual aspect being an important component of this. “Be Healed” by Dr. Bob Schuchts is a wonderful book that I believe would accompany pastoral counseling in a beautiful way. Dr. Bob breaks healing into three parts: Encountering Jesus, Facing our Brokenness, and Healing our Wounds.

Pastoral Counseling, say what?

After 6 years in a large parish in Atlanta, GA working in youth ministry, I found myself wondering how best to help those coming to me who were wounded and broken. I love my faith, I am a Catechetics and Theology Graduate of Franciscan University and my desire was and still is to be the Lord’s hands and feet in loving His children and pointing them to the Heart of Jesus, the Divine Healer! When families, teens, parents, and other parishioners would come into my office or call me on the phone asking for help, I found myself realizing that all the theology knowledge in the world would not help them. Theology is important, and helped me to be a voice of truth as they came to learn more about our Catholic faith. But in the midst of pain, suffering, hurt, addiction, and grief, they also needed be heard, received, and to have an experience of love and healing.