img_1752-300x300

Caitlin Dudenhoefer

Student Blogger

Hello! My name is Caitlin Dudenhoefer and I am a second year graduate student from Sandusky, Ohio.  Currently, I am studying counseling through Franciscan University of Steubenville’s Clinical Mental Health Program.  I also received my bachelors degree in psychology from Franciscan University.  After graduating with my masters degree, I hope to bring Christ’s hope, love, joy, truth, and healing to the clients I encounter through my ministry as a counselor. I love my big, Italian/ Irish/German family and enjoy dancing, spending time with friends, dogs, and the color purple.

Story Time!

Throughout this semester, I have done a lot of reflecting on what I have to offer my clients as a counselor. Before this semester, I did not think that I had a lot to offer my clients in terms of life experience and a story. After all, as a cradle Catholic graduate student who comes from a white upper-middle class family how can I relate to people who are new in the faith or who come from different socioeconomic, educational, and cultural backgrounds? This question has definitely been answered throughout the semester as my classmates and I have explored our family and religious background as well as discussed some very personal beliefs and experiences.

The Uniqueness of Pastoral Counseling

As this semester continues, I have learned more about the unique opportunities and techniques associated with pastoral counseling. Based on what I have learned so far, I can see that the uniqueness of Pastoral counseling provides many advantages as well as certain limitations that should be considered by anyone who wants to be a pastoral counselor. One of the main advantages of pastoral counseling that I see is the ability to more directly incorporate our Catholic faith into therapy.

Counseling Pastorally

As a Counseling Graduate Student here at Franciscan University, learning how to incorporate our Catholic faith into our counseling is a key part of our education. This semester, I have had the opportunity to reflect on the specialty of pastoral counseling in a class specifically dedicated to explore the unique purpose and role of pastoral counseling in the mental health field.

Easter joy and Spring craziness

He is risen, Alleluia!! There is so much to be grateful for as we finish the Easter Octave, continue the 50 day Easter season, and celebrate Divine Mercy Sunday with the canonization of Pope John Paul the Great and Pope John the XIII. The Spring weather has also finally decided to show up, adding to…

Love and Lent

Hello again everyone! I hope your Lent has been truly blessed so far. The semester continues to fly by, and it is finally beginning to feel like Spring! Franciscan had our Spring Break a couple weeks ago, and it has been fun to hear everyone’s stories ranging from crazy mission trip experiences to fun…

Living Life to the Fullest

With the recent warm weather, it is hard to believe that there is only one more week in February and Spring Break is on its way! February has definitely been full of activity, both fun and academic related. My friends and I have had our first few tests and major assignments due, so that has…

Back in the saddle again!

After a wonderfully crazy semester in Austria and a beautifully relaxing Christmas break, it is definitely great to be back on main campus here in Steubenville again! I definitely have a lot to look forward to and to accomplish this semester, but so far it has been a great start. Living on the same floor…

Rounding third and coming home

Hello again!  I know it is very cliché to make an “I can’t believe how fast this semester went by” post at this point, but I am going to be that girl because it is so true. With all of the traveling, studies, and fun times here in Austria, it has definitely been a full…

God’s plans, and wonderful craziness!

“For I know the plans that I have for you says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) This verse has really spoken to me this semester, and with the craziness of the past few weeks I have definitely needed…

Festivals and Tests and Travels, oh my!

Hello, again everyone! It has been a little bit since I last posted and there has definitely been a lot going on here in Austria. A couple of weekends ago we had our annual St. Francis Festival.  Celebrating the festival here in Austria was somewhat different than celebrating on main campus, but nonetheless it was…

Austrian Adventures!

Hello! My name is Caitlin Dudenhoefer and I am a junior Psychology Major here at Franciscan University.  This semester I have been blessed to have the opportunity to study abroad at our program in Gaming, Austria.  It is such a gorgeous part of the world and reminds me daily of the wonders of God’s creation!…