andrea-wallace_avatar_1441298552-96x96-2

Andrea Wallace

Student Blogger

My name is Andrea and I am a graduate student in the Clinical and Mental Health program at Franciscan University. I am from State College, Pennsylvania, and previously studied Art- drawing and painting, with minors in French and Psychology at Penn State University. I love to paint landscapes and adventure to beautiful places to be surrounded by nature.

Wanting to be of help to others doing work in line with my given talents and abilities, God has guided me to the counseling field. Franciscan allows me to grow and learn in this profession by valuing the view of the human person in a holistic manner, biopsychosocial and spiritual. I am concretely discovering what I have inherently felt, that these aspects of the human person cannot be separated if seeking wholeness. Upon finishing my degree, I plan to move back to State College to live and work as a counselor to help others find meaning and purpose in their lives!

Presence and Purpose

As I look around each day, I see vastly that life is filled with paradox. The more connected we get through technology, the more isolated we feel. The more you fail at something, the more likely you are to (eventually) succeed. The more that we learn, the more we realize how very little we actually know. And in order to fully live, we must experience a sense of death of the self.  Something that has set in over these last few weeks is that, in order to reach peace we must surrender to God’s will.

Pastoral Counseling Resources

While there are similarities to clinical counseling, a characteristic of pastoral counseling that vastly differs from many approaches to counseling is that it is holistic in nature. Rather than separating a client’s issues or pieces of themselves, the practice of pastoral counseling works to treat the whole, integrated person. This practice stems from the Christian beliefs that one can only truly be understand in their entirety.

Why Pastoral Counseling?

We live in a culture that praises individualism and self-sufficiency. While it is necessary to learn and discover one’s individual self, a superficial focus on identity can lead to extreme selfishness and egotism.