16491644_10206881662275042_577248118_o

Hannah Crites

Student Blogger

Hannah Crites is a senior communications arts major (with a concentration in journalism) and theology minor from south-suburban Denver, Colorado. She is the oldest of three and is the first person in her family to attend Franciscan University. She enjoys drinking coffee (particularly in unhealthy quantities), playing the guitar and ukulele, writing, hiking, traveling, and going on random adventures.

Hannah has a particular passion for helping others seek their identity in Christ through ministering to youth and young adult and Pope St. John Paul writings on Theology of the Body. She has a strong devotion to the Blessed Mother that ultimately led to her personal encounter with Christ her senior year in high school. Some of her other patrons are St. Maximilian Kolbe, St. Michael the Archangel, and Pope St. John Paul II. After graduation she hopes to work as a blogger, social media specialist, and Catholic youth speaker.

• Member of Gaudete in Via Crucis Women’s
  • Editor-in-Chief of The Troubadour, Franciscan University’s student paper
  • Engagement Assistant – SWOP – Steubenville Conferences
  • Media Relations Assistant – SWOP – Marketing and Communications
  • Member of the Center for Leadership

Crites: Seeing Pope Francis in America

Regardless of whether they are Catholic, Pope Francis is someone who absolutely amazes Americans. He is puzzling, he is baffling. So when he came to America almost a year and a half ago for the first time as pope, twenty-four-hour news stations followed his every move.

The Best Paper in the World: The Troubadour

I joined The Troubadour as a freshman during my first week at Franciscan University. I came in as a mass communications major with a concentration in journalism and had high hopes to become a mainstream newspaper journalist. It made sense to join the school paper. I had been a part of my school paper in high school and wrote a few articles so had some experience that would help me be successful, but my editors gave me the tools I needed to do well. Within my first year at Franciscan, I wrote over 40 articles on topics ranging from expansions on campus, student government, the March for Life, and more.

Crites: Reasons Why Franciscan Professors are the Best

Because of the very broad core program at Franciscan, Franciscan students have the opportunity to take classes with a wide variety of professors from different departments. Within my first semester, I knew there was something very special about this group of people who have dedicated themselves to the education of their younger brothers and sisters in Christ. So what is it that makes them the best?

Crites: Father Michael Scanlan: A Francis-like figure

I didn’t have the pleasure of ever meeting Father Mike. He left Franciscan before I was a student, but he still had such a significant impact on my life that losing him felt like losing a close, personal friend. His name was present from the moment I stepped foot on campus. I can’t remember the first time I heard his name. It was probably on my tour as a prospective student as we walked past his portrait in the J.C. Williams Center.