padua-16

Diane Piland

Student Blogger

I am a graduate student in the Clinical Mental Health program.  I was in the teaching field for twenty-five years.  I was an educator in Honduras.   I first taught elementary grades and later became the Director of the bi-lingual school (grades 1-12).  Also, during that time I was the Director of the American choir at the American church.  I recently retired as an Associate Professor of Education.  Prior to being in the education field I was an Assistant Pastor in Louisville, Ohio and a Chaplain in the women’s Teen Challenge in Columbus, Ohio. My masters in counseling will enable me to triangular ministry, education and counseling to further service people in need.

Pastoral Counseling: Techniques and Resources

Pastoral Counseling can have two components; community counselor and/or Christian counselor. As a trained community counselor one draws from understanding of human behavior (emotional, social and physical) and psychological norms. The problems are addressed through using various counseling techniques, interventions and resources. A Christian counselor sees a person through a more holistic spiritual prism, which includes healing of the spirit/soul of man. Understanding a person more fully is drawn from the belief that man is created in the image of God.

Reflections on Pastoral Counseling

My personal reflections of what I am studying in pastoral counseling takes me back to my protestant roots and my years of studies in preparation for ministry.  I would like to address three key points that Brenner (1998; Care of the Soul) discusses which are congruent to my own beliefs; 1) pastoral care, 2) pastoral spiritual counseling and 3) pastoral counselors licensed for community counseling.