padua-16

Alicia Summers

CMHC Blogger

Hello!  I am a 20-something grad student, and full time substance abuse counselor with the ability to overthink anything and everything. Born in Ohio, lived in a few other states since then, now hailing from Pittsburgh and trying to make sense of life both as a professional and perpetual student, I’ve developed this blog to keep track of my thoughts, specifically about the field of Pastoral counseling and other concepts about counseling, healing and self-actualization as a lifelong process. When I’m not overthinking things, I enjoy painting, drawing, reading, laughing and watching detective shows. (Like it’s my job.) 
Reading this blog, you”ll most likely be introduced to the influences of my degree in psychology, my current progress as a Master’s student in the counseling program at Franciscan, and many other experiences I’ve had that have impacted and formed my way of relating to the world. 

Summers: Counter-Transference: Knowing What We’re Doing

Probably the most important message I have tried to relay in all of my posts at this point is that the counselor is not perfect–shocking, I know–and certainly not immune to depositing his or her own baggage in the midst of a session, not in the least. Various forms of this imperfection present within a session, and luckily many of them are noticeable or at the very least easy to rectify once detected.

Summers: Answers to Questions Unknown

There’s this notion (I’m not sure how widely it is held, but it exists) that those in the counseling field are in the field initially to learn how to fix themselves, or those in their environment, or perhaps both. And really, I don’t imagine that is too far off the mark, considering the amount of introspection it takes to be able to reach into someone’s world, pull out the themes and major characters of their life and give it back to them in a new, healthy perspective that evokes positive change–all while being able to model that kind of lifestyle in a way that convinces the client it is possible.

Summers: Receiving the Message Pastoral Counseling as Conduit

So, in my last blog, I sort of jogged around the idea of Pastoral Counseling being an avenue for God to work through the counselor and the client in ways that help both of them grow in faith and in health. I mean for this blog to be a continuation of that, but to highlight another avenue of how Pastoral Counseling calls the counselor to be closer to God through the vessel of the client’s experience’s. First, as you will find is typical of me, I will offer a real life example.